Emmori's Basement
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FATESPHERE -- Chapter 1: The Coldest Night

4 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

FATESPHERE -- Chapter 1: The Coldest Night Empty FATESPHERE -- Chapter 1: The Coldest Night

Post  Emmori Mon May 28, 2012 2:26 pm

Storyteller wrote:Many years ago, the world was poised on the brink of destruction. Using a spell he had devised, Zoran Xix--one of the mightiest wizards of his time--severed the influence of the gods from the land, and drove the world into chaos. One by one, kingdoms fell and people were forced to fight, be they dead or alive. Hope was all but lost, until one man changed history.

Arnd, a humble man from the wastes, had been endowed with power by the gods themselves in an act of hope and desperation. Through his trials and tribulations, he gathered allies and followers, and took control of a powerful artifact: the Fatesphere, the solidified essence of fate itself, with the power to alter the flow of time in its wielder's favor. With it, Arnd and his followers faced Zoran Xix in one final battle, Arnd himself putting his own divine power against Xix's considerable arcane talent. Though Zoran Xix had tried to turn the Fatesphere against his enemy, Arnd's resolve proved stronger, and Zoran Xix's forces were utterly destroyed.

After many centuries of rebuilding, Grisbin has attained relative peace, though it is still scattered and broken apart. Everywhere, everyone knows the tale of Arnd and his saints, and much of the world celebrates his proclamation of the Overbeing's supreme power. But evil rests, and heroes must rise to face threats, be they ancient or new. One such tale starts in Cloudvale, a small but fertile village in the frontier...
Let's do this.
Storyteller wrote:In the village of Cloudvale, it is nearing the Winter Solstice, and the town is abuzz with anticipation for the Festival of Saint Tryce. It is a time of giving and camaraderie, and the townsfolk are busy balancing business as usual with holiday preparations. It is the evening, less than a week before the eve of the solstice.

What are our heroes doing?
Now would be the time to introduce your characters and tell where they are and what they're up to.
Emmori
Emmori
Admin

https://emmorisbasement.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

FATESPHERE -- Chapter 1: The Coldest Night Empty Re: FATESPHERE -- Chapter 1: The Coldest Night

Post  Slob Blobknob Mon May 28, 2012 3:16 pm

Elwynn Ariana wrote:
FATESPHERE -- Chapter 1: The Coldest Night NMFU7
Elwynn Ariana stands in the town square, attempting to delight the townsfolk while she practices for her concert the big Festival Saint Tryce celebration. Though she never exclusively asks for money, there is a small strip of cloth in front of her, in case a compassionate wanderer wishes to throw a couple of copper her way so that she can afford dinner. Though she makes a small sum of money for each concert she is asked to hold, she always donates a majority of that money back to some of the poorer townsfolk. After clearing her throat, she begins to sing.

"Gather round, all, for winter is here
Let Saint Tryce bless your home and your kin
May ev'ry home be filled with good cheer
And our voices ring all 'cross Grisbin.

Bring joy! Give love!
The season brings tidings of grace from above
Come one! Come all!
Praise great Arnd's seat in Clarion's great hall!

Gather round, all, for winter is here
Feast well, my friends, give gifts as a king
May ev'ry home be filled with good cheer
And our voices ring all 'cross Grisbin.

Let our voices ring all 'cross Grisbin!"

1d20 + 8=25 Perform: Singing check.

Slob Blobknob
Admin

Back to top Go down

FATESPHERE -- Chapter 1: The Coldest Night Empty Re: FATESPHERE -- Chapter 1: The Coldest Night

Post  Deimosion Mon May 28, 2012 4:49 pm

Shiya Oaks wrote: FATESPHERE -- Chapter 1: The Coldest Night Hhmee

"I swear, Kiana, you should be more outspoken. You always have such interesting things to say and nobody hears any of them!"

Walking down the street with her best friend, Shiya Oaks lets out a booming laugh, drawing attention to the duo.

"Anyway, let's head to a tavern or inn and get something to drink. I'm parched and I don't believe either of us has eaten in a while. And maybe we can find you some places to play cards or throw dice!"

She lets out another laugh as she walks into the tavern. She flags down the nearest serving wench and orders ale for herself and wine for Kiana. She also orders food for both of them as she looks around the tavern for anything interesting.

Last edited by Deimosion on Thu May 31, 2012 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Deimosion

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghaleon281 Mon May 28, 2012 5:03 pm

Kiana Kahezowa wrote:FATESPHERE -- Chapter 1: The Coldest Night Y6reX

As she walks alongside her friend and master Shiya, Kiana Kahezowa nervously looks around at the crowds.

"Y-You shouldn't be so loud, Shiya! E-Everyone's looking at us now."

Following closely as Shiya approaches a bar, Kiana keeps a constant eye out for anyone that might want to hurt her master. It has only been a few months since their mutual friend disappeared, but it was more than enough time for the mayor's rumor-mill to cast the blame on Shiya. Kiana has to be vigilant, just in case.

"U-Um... I'm going to stay in that corner. They're... um... playing games. I think.. I think I can make some money."

With that, Kiana moves towards the side of the bar, with her back to the wall and an eye always on Shiya. She can hopefully make some money at pool while simultaneously ensuring Shiya's safety.

Profession (Gambler): 15+4 = 19. Perception: 13+0 = 13

Ghaleon281

Back to top Go down

Post  Emmori Tue May 29, 2012 12:00 am

Storyteller wrote:The cold of the outside encroaches into the tavern, but not enough to make patrons of Restless Spirits--the town's premiere (and only) tavern. Shiya relaxes at a table, and soon the server hustles through the crowd with their provisions: Elk Stew is on order tonight. As Shiya can hear a performance coming outside, whom she identifies as her acquaintance Elwynn Ariana, give an excellent performance.

Kiana, on the other hand, is focused on the task at hand: others have heard of her ability at Dwarven Billiards, but refuse to believe her skill by appearance. They easily lose their coins to her as she works the table.

Kiana gains 2 G, 7 S from gaming!
Elwynn gains 2 G from performing!
I probably should have mentioned that we're using Invisible Castle for rolling here, but by the looks of it you've all figured that out already.
Storyteller wrote:Kiana detects it first, but Shiya is suddenly alerted when a familiar voice calls to here as she eats, drinks, and watches Kiana embarrass some guards at billiards.

FATESPHERE -- Chapter 1: The Coldest Night VJGVJ
"Ah, hello my dear. I didn't think you'd be out at such a late hour."

Shaya and Kiana identify this man as Vechis Wright, Master of the Order of the Flask and Shaya's mentor.
Emmori
Emmori
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Deimosion Tue May 29, 2012 1:30 am

I have no idea how Vechis Wright prefers to be addressed, but this is Shiya we're talking about, so yeah. Also I'm beginning to think this campaign will be a real test of how many different ways there are to write "Shiya laughs".

Shiya Oaks wrote:FATESPHERE -- Chapter 1: The Coldest Night Hhmee

Shiya laughs.

"Vechis, I could say the same to you. What brings you here at this hour? I came here to enjoy some food and pay tribute to my favorite lesser god by enjoying a nice drink or six. This music is good too, I must say. Ah, but one moment please."

She waves over to her companion. "Kiana, come have some of this stew! It's excellent!"

Another laugh. The last part she mutters under her breath:

"And I'm not sure when the last time you ate was."

She turns back to Master Wright.

"My apologies...where were we? Ah yes, the solstice is nearing. Are you excited for the celebration? I'm always up for merriment!"

This too ends in a laugh from Shiya.

Last edited by Deimosion on Thu May 31, 2012 8:18 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Adding italics, fixing typos)

Deimosion

Back to top Go down

Post  Slob Blobknob Tue May 29, 2012 6:23 am

Elwynn Ariana wrote:
Finishing her song and stopping to shake the hands of and thank passers-by who donated their money to her, Elwynn decides it is once again time to spread kindness. Fairly certain that she has kept others fed quite well this past week, Elwynn resolves to bring a different kind of kindness and holiday cheer to the local tavern. She opens the door to the tavern and steps in with a wide smile upon her face.

"In the spirit of the season, a round of Caydenbrew...for everyone!" She shouts gleefully. Thinking guiltily about her empty stomach, she adds, "And...I suppose I'll have a shank of boar and a loaf of bread. It has been quite a while since I've eaten. Many in this town need the food far more than I."

Elwynn works her way through the crowd to the bar to pay for everyone's drinks. She decides to strike up friendly conversation with the bartender.

"This year's festival is shaping up to be the best yet, wouldn't you agree? The good folk of Cloudvale seemed awfully pleased with my rehearsal this evening, and I was certain I'd done miserably!"

Slob Blobknob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghaleon281 Tue May 29, 2012 12:16 pm

I don't really know what "Invisible Castle" means, but given what you said, I can only assume what I did was correct. Also, we're ALL childhood friends, right? So Kiana would recognize Elwynn? I'm assuming she would, if only for the celebrity thing.

Upon hearing Shiya's voice, Kiana snaps to attention. She quickly ends her gaming session to respond to her master.

"U-um... Excuse me... I'm done playing... for... today... um..."

Nervously, Kiana replaces the pool cue and quickly shuffles over to Shiya's side. While approaching, she manages some semblance of a wave to Vechis.

"It's good t-to see you again, Sir Wright. A-and thank you for the food, Shiya..."

Uncomfortably taking a seat next to Shiya at the crowded bar, Kiana shyly eats what was served. She takes a moment to react to Elwynn's entrance, as well.

"Y-you... um... You were wonderful today, Elwynn."

Embarrassed at her own attempts, Kiana quickly focuses her attention to her food once again.

Ghaleon281

Back to top Go down

Post  Slob Blobknob Tue May 29, 2012 4:01 pm

Invisible Castle is a dice-roller website that allows you to link to the roll you made for GMs to verify it if they want. It's just invisiblecastle.com. Also, if Elwynn's a celebrity bard, it's pretty likely that everyone in this small town knows her, regardless of whether they're old friends or not. Plus, Elwynn's got enough Knowledge: Local that she's probably aware of everyone in town, as well, given her status as a celebrity.

Elwynn Ariana wrote:
"Well, hello there, Kiana! Thank you very much. I've been assured that, despite my own feelings on the song, I've done very well in rehearsal. Given what the townsfolk are saying, I'm rather unsure that I'll be able to follow up these rehearsals once the time for the real concert arrives. I certainly hope that I can, though. The good people of Cloudvale have not had much to cheer about for many harvests. I do try my best, but still, many go hungry. It is a sad matter. And look at yourself! I speak of those who go hungry, only to see one sitting before my very eyes! Please tell me that you haven't been surviving on this stew for these many months!"

Elwynn shoots a sympathetic glance at the bartender.

"No offense meant to you, sir, stew is simply not hearty enough for a young girl to carry such a heavy burden of arms and armor, even on horseback. But Kiana, please! I am sure there is plenty here for some more bread and another boar shank. Enough to go around! I have not forgotten my most good-natured friends. Come, Shiya, and you, too, Master Wright! Let us feast on boar and bread as best we can on this day, forget our troubles, and revel in the joys of the season! The Overbeing will forgive me if my charity is a little more exclusive on this day, especially for such kind people."

Elwynn lays the last of the coin she'd accumulated onto the counter and asks the bartender for a boar shank and loaf of bread for Kiana, Shiya, and Vechis Wright.

"Someday, perhaps, I will be fortunate enough to bring lasting relief to the good people of Cloudvale."

Quietly, under her breath,

"Perhaps then...I will learn what became of my parents in their own mission to help these kind folk."

Slob Blobknob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Deimosion Tue May 29, 2012 5:54 pm

Shiya Oaks wrote:
FATESPHERE -- Chapter 1: The Coldest Night Hhmee

"HAHAHAHAHA! Oh Elwynn, you are far too kind! Your performances are excellent."

Shiya holds her tankard of ale up.

"And you have good taste in ale. Here's to your health, Elwynn!"

She downs the ale, then lets out a contented sigh.

"Good food, good drink, and good company. This is the good life, am I right Kiana?"

Last edited by Deimosion on Tue May 29, 2012 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Deimosion

Back to top Go down

Post  Emmori Tue May 29, 2012 6:09 pm

Ghaleon281 wrote:Also, we're ALL childhood friends, right? So Kiana would recognize Elwynn? I'm assuming she would, if only for the celebrity thing.
I was gonna say something, but it looks like Slob's already answered that for me.
Storyteller wrote:The bartender, a stout and serious man named Ronnie, nods with a pinch of irritation... not because of the young ladies, but of the awful rush of people for Caydenbrew... the holiday stout of which is their specialty. Kiana and Elwynn eventually receive their food from a frenzied barmaid they know as Yelda, Ronnie's... wife? Fiancee? No one's really sure.

Back at the table, Shiya and Vechis down some of their brew and talk.

"This brew is quite excellent, my young lady! Not bad for your first Tryce Ale!"

Wright downs the entire flaggon with a single swig, following with a satisfied-sounding 'Ahhhh!' He continues.

"By the Goddess, that's refreshing! I am actually glad I caught you here, Squire Oaks. I wanted to speak with you about something. Did you have a moment?"
Emmori
Emmori
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Deimosion Tue May 29, 2012 6:16 pm

I love that Vechis Wright just completely ignored Shiya's unintentional bit of disrespect there, like he's used to dealing with it from her.

Shiya Oaks wrote:
FATESPHERE -- Chapter 1: The Coldest Night Hhmees

Shiya signals to Yelda to bring more drink.

"Keep these coming, I'm loving them!"

She turns to face her mentor.

"I sure do! What did you want to discuss?"

Last edited by Deimosion on Tue May 29, 2012 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Deimosion

Back to top Go down

Post  Emmori Tue May 29, 2012 6:33 pm

Vechis has brew. He don't give a FUCK.
Storyteller wrote:FATESPHERE -- Chapter 1: The Coldest Night VJGVJ
"Far be it from me to be teary-eyed about the past, but... your training is nearly complete, young lady. You can handle a blade as well as any man on the guard, and your heart is pure. The Order never demands that one of our own stay in town, but I wanted to know your plans for the future. What is it you wish to do once your are made a Knight of the Flask?"

Yelda puts another ale on the table for Vechis as he asks his question. He sips the foam on top a tad, but ends up getting a bit of ale on his beard.
Emmori
Emmori
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghaleon281 Tue May 29, 2012 6:38 pm

Unable to help but overhear, Kiana looks up from her food.

"That's wonderful news! I'm happy for you, Shiya!"

Immediately after her sudden outburst, however, Kiana blushes and quickly returns to her meal.

Ghaleon281

Back to top Go down

Post  Deimosion Tue May 29, 2012 6:48 pm

Shiya Oaks wrote:

Shiya's roaring laughter nearly causes her to choke on her ale.

"Wahaha, excellent news! This is cause for celebration!"

She then shouts even louder than normal:

"Another round of ale for everyone, to celebrate this wonderful day!"

This elicits more laughter at the same too-loud volume. She then quiets down...a bit.

"As for my plans, I want to travel around and help those who can't always help themselves. And maybe I'll spread some joy and ale around while I'm at it."

She then slaps Kiana on the back and laughs heartily.

"You'd better celebrate too! Enjoy this evening, eh?"

Last edited by Deimosion on Tue May 29, 2012 9:27 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added some dialogue.)

Deimosion

Back to top Go down

Post  Slob Blobknob Tue May 29, 2012 7:07 pm

Elwynn Ariana wrote:
Elwynn downs her ale and sighs.

"Kiana, what I wouldn't give to have the opportunity to leave town like Shiya has. But I have so much responsibility here. The people...what would they do if they had one less kind hand reaching out to them? What would happen to them if music left the town? Certainly they would curse the name Elwynn from now to eternity for abandoning their poor souls. I have practiced for so long with the bow and with my ma--"

Elwynn's face turns red for a moment as she stops herself.

"--music, that is. My bow and my singing. Should all of that training still leave me confined here? Oh, would that I could know that the people of Cloudvale were in good hands if I were to depart. But I'm afraid that not even the good Master Wright could keep all of the townsfolk fed. Not after these last few harvests."

Elwynn hangs her head and begins, softly, to sing.

"One day, perhaps, I'll make it away
To lands unfamiliar, who'll show me the way?
When all good things end at the break of each day
And giving all my heart can't keep famine away?

How can I justify leaving so soon?
I've hardly begun to bring voice to my tune!
But long have I pined by the light of the moon
For adventures galore that would make great Arnd swoon!"

She grasps her necklace and begins to tear up a little.

"And what would I find if I left this behind?
Would they just appear so I'll have piece of mind?
Where might they be, why was fate so unkind?
Why can't I escape all my feelings that bind?"

1d20 + 8=20 Perform: Singing check

Slob Blobknob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghaleon281 Tue May 29, 2012 7:30 pm

Okay, wait. Shiya and Kiana clearly think this is a visual novel. Does Elwynn think we're just in a musical? She keeps breaking into song. Our party is seriously Misha, Hanako, and one of those kids from High School Musical.

Shocked by Shiya's sudden invasion of her personal space, Kiana ends up at a loss for words.

"I-I! Um..."

She looks around nervously a bit.

"I'll try..."

To Elwynn, however, Kiana is able to respond with ease and conviction.

"I have an opportunity to leave because I have a responsibility to Shiya... Where she goes, I'll go." Kiana blushes a bit again. "I-I-I mean, it's good you have people you want to help! I... I can't really do much besides fight, but you can do a lot!" Quickly turning away, Kiana quietly adds: "S-Sorry..."

Ghaleon281

Back to top Go down

Post  Slob Blobknob Tue May 29, 2012 8:17 pm

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry! But yes, she is a bard, so yes, she is going to sing. A lot. And I hope to actually make up a song each time she sings instead of borrowing one.

Elwynn Ariana wrote:
Elwynn contemplates what Kiana has said.

"I suppose, perhaps..."

Elwynn bites her lip.

"If Master Wright promised that he could take good care of the people in my stead..."

She blushes.

"That's not to say that you don't already help people! It's just that, with me gone, how will the people be fed? But I would so love to experience the world with Shiya..."

She sighs.

"I suppose it's quite selfish of me to think thusly, eh, Master?"

Inwardly,

"Though the Master likely has far more important things to think about than to listen to the moral dilemmas of a young musician."

Elwynn sighs again, takes a large bite of boar and a big swig of ale and laments the moment she began to say anything about traveling.

Slob Blobknob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Emmori Tue May 29, 2012 9:06 pm

Storyteller wrote:Vechis approaches Elwynn with stein in hand, and puts his hand on her shoulder.

"You've got the heart of a Paladin, Miss Ariana. Your parents would be proud to see you act with such concern. But the harvest this year was excellent, and these people are strong. Other places could use your compassion, Elwynn, so don't be afraid to find those who need your song most."

Master Wright begins to walk away after he downs the last of his drink. "It's late, and sadly I have business to. Have fun here, ladies."

Vechis begins to walk away, patting others on the back as leaves. He throws a bag of coins to Ronnie... apparently drinks are on him tonight!

[Players, please make a Perception check!]
Emmori
Emmori
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghaleon281 Tue May 29, 2012 9:12 pm

Nat 20. Kiana can see forever.

As Vechis leaves, Kiana waves him off and tries to thank him for the drinks. Unfortunately, she can't bring herself to speak up in the crowd, and instead awkwardly shifts in her position for a moment before resettling.

Perception check! (20+0=20)

Ghaleon281

Back to top Go down

Post  Slob Blobknob Tue May 29, 2012 9:17 pm

Elwynn Ariana wrote:
Elwynn, feeling as though a great weight has been lifted from her shoulders, takes a hearty swig of ale.

"Such a great, kind man."

1d20 + 4=22 Perception check!

Slob Blobknob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Deimosion Tue May 29, 2012 9:24 pm

I forgot to put points into Perception, derp. Also I keep forgetting to italicize things. Going back now to fix that.

Shiya Oaks wrote:

"Thanks for the news and the celebration, Ve-er, Master Wright! Ahahahaha~!"

Shiya stumbles a bit on her words, finally beginning to feel the effects of her heavy drinking.

"Why don't ya come with us, Elwynn? The more, the merrier, eh?"

Perception check: 1d20+0=15

Deimosion

Back to top Go down

Post  Emmori Tue May 29, 2012 9:45 pm

Jesus. Even when the rolls are virtual you guys roll crazy good when it counts.
Storyteller wrote:As Vechis walks out, the three girls notice that he stops when a figure in a hood approaches him at the door. Wright's normally cheerful expression is replaced by a dour look of seriousness as he nods and follows the figure.
FATESPHERE -- Chapter 1: The Coldest Night AumCO
Emmori
Emmori
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghaleon281 Tue May 29, 2012 9:58 pm

Don't worry. I've yet to roll even double digits for initiative in your campaigns. Also, can I pretend the hooded guy is just the Joker?

Seeing the normally happy Vechis change so quickly immediately worries Kiana. She quickly shifts from 'fragile' to 'combat-ready,' whispering to Shiya:

"Master, something is wrong with Sir Vechis. It looked serious. I'm not very good at hiding, but... do you want me to try and keep and eye on him?"

Ghaleon281

Back to top Go down

Post  Slob Blobknob Tue May 29, 2012 10:09 pm

Elwynn Ariana wrote:
Elwynn gives a small bow to Kiana and Shiya.

"I shall have to do that. But if you'll excuse me, I just suddenly discovered that there's stalk--er, singing to be done."

Elwynn dashes off toward the two men as silently as possible.

1d20 + 7=26 Stealth check!

Apparently, she dashes off INCREDIBLY silently.

Slob Blobknob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next