Emmori's Basement
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter 2: Down the Future Path (To the Past)

+3
spec spec
Ghaleon281
Slob Blobknob
7 posters

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Chapter 2: Down the Future Path (To the Past) - Page 10 Empty Re: Chapter 2: Down the Future Path (To the Past)

Post  Slob Blobknob Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:59 am

All members of the party are able to see that the docks are fraught with many burly men like Bjornulf, busy getting ships ready to sail and bringing trade goods back and forth. A particularly rough looking bunch eyes the party with disdain as they pass by, but say nothing. Skivven and Alistair, in particular, catch many a raised eyebrow or sneer. The party can see a busy tavern in the distance. All around them are small shops and merchant stalls, and just behind those stalls is a group of small homes for the permanent residents of the town.

Bjornulf Freyson wrote:
Chapter 2: Down the Future Path (To the Past) - Page 10 TQEVRXl
Bjornulf pats Liana on the back rather hard, but affectionately. He speaks now in Common.

"Ah, don't let her get to you, my niece. And no offense taken about the boat. But sadly, we will need to take the boat again one way or another. Even if we happen to find Flamel here, we would still need to return to A'lan'is and to Trenton. You know, I think I might take him up on his offer to join the Dökkálfar in their return to their homeland. I've seen about all I need to see in these lands on this Earth."

Bjornulf leans in and begins to whisper to Liana.

"But just know, so long as she doesn't actually cause you or Skivven any harm, directly or indirectly, Trenton will likely retain his favor for her. And with his old mother in such poor health, I think we both know what that would mean. I would definitely suggest you and I tender our resignations soon afterward, given the attitude we've experienced since our departure."

Bjornulf ceases whispering.

"Enjoy Oslo, everyone. I hope that your efforts are fruitful. I will remain with the ship, as I have some trading to do here at the docks so we can have some supplies ready for our next embarkation. For information, I suggest checking at the local shops. There's a tavern out there, but the folks there are likely to be far too drunk to know what you're asking them, or to care!"

Bjornulf chuckles.

Slob Blobknob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Chapter 2: Down the Future Path (To the Past) - Page 10 Empty Re: Chapter 2: Down the Future Path (To the Past)

Post  Deimosion Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:32 pm

Liana Shadowstalker wrote:
Chapter 2: Down the Future Path (To the Past) - Page 10 3H0Pk

Liana smiles wryly.

"Please, darling, did you think I wouldn't spend the month trying to avoid the woman who's so unpleasant Trenton actually had to send her across an ocean to be rid of her? Well, at least the perfume is a marked improvement...not great, but it'll do for now."

Liana turns back to Bjornulf.

"Will you be here later today, then? I intend to take a sampling of the locals' taste for drink, but I'd like to come by later and talk if you don't mind."

Deimosion

Back to top Go down

Post  Akeri Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:36 am

Skivven wrote: Skivven looks up at Alistair, his ears flat against the top of his head.

"Skivven thinks locals glare less once Skivven blows a kneecap out or ten." The small ratman grumbles to his taller companion. "What you think? Boss get mad if Skivven amuses himself?" He asks looking back at Liana

Akeri

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghaleon281 Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:26 am

Cecilia Phron wrote:Chapter 2: Down the Future Path (To the Past) - Page 10 YrBiA

Cecilia smiles as Bjornulf speaks. "If we return where we left, I'm afraid you'll find yourself quite the distance from any sea, Bjornulf. We were in a desert. As for the return trip, perhaps you'll have more stories to share. They kept the journey almost... pleasant." Although she heard the whispered portion, Cecilia acts oblivious to the discussion.

The witch then turns to Liana. "I will concede to you that forcing me to travel with his lapdog hardly casts Trenton's opinions of me in a positive light, but I sincerely doubt you're in a position to talk. He must have realized how much you'd despise the voyage." She smirks before adding: "It's almost as though getting to watch you endure this was a gift to me. Rather kind of him, I suppose."

Cecilia then addresses Skivven. "Trenton did not specify in what condition civilians be left, but a more delicate touch is required for now. ... Unfortunately." She sighs. "Just as well, I suppose. I've no more onyx to make use of any resources we might happen to create. No matter."

She looks to Saul. "Take point, Knight. Let's get this over with."
Diplomacy: 14 + 5 = 19 to be relatively polite to Bjornulf (she DID enjoy the stories: obtaining any kind of knowledge is one of the things that will generally please Cecilia).

For the whisper, I don't remember what I rolled, but Steve had said Cecilia heard the statement (although had no clue what they were talking about).

...Also, Bluff: 20 + 16 = 36 to act like she did not hear the whispered remarks. Good luck with that.

Ghaleon281

Back to top Go down

Post  Slob Blobknob Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:11 am

Bjornulf Freyson wrote:
Bjornulf pats Liana firmly on the shoulder.

"Don't mind at all! It's been good to see you again, Liana. Family has to stick together."

Bjornulf addresses Skivven.

"My furry friend, I don't believe you would enjoy the consequences of filling one of the locals here with buckshot. They might get a bit annoyed!"

Bjornulf then addresses Cecilia.

"Young lady, I have been to many lands all across this earth, from sea to desert, from mountain to valley. I have been inside volcanoes and on top of some of the highest peaks in the world. I think you will find that the terrain where we are going is of little consequence to me. And, it is just as well that you are not to practice your necromancy in full force within these lands. It is unlikely that Hel will take kindly to your intrusion into her domain."

Slob Blobknob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Stickybeard Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:04 pm

Saul wrote:
Chapter 2: Down the Future Path (To the Past) - Page 10 Rszberserkguts2

Saul turns to Cecilia.

"Gotcha. I'm guessing we're gonna start looking in the merchant area? I would imagine that would be where an alchemist would go, in order to get stuff for their alchemy."

Saul looks to Alistair.

"...Unless our fellow alchemist can think of a better place."

Captain Stickybeard

Back to top Go down

Post  Deimosion Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:33 pm

Liana is unamused. She seems to seriously consider Cecilia's comment for a moment.

"Indeed. I sincerely doubt I'll be working for Trenton much longer after this anyway. I suspected a day like this would come eventually...I have no doubts whatsoever that he would cast us all aside in an instant if it would bring him closer to his goals."

Liana shrugs.

"But for now, he needs us, so we'll at least be safe until we find this 'Flamel' character. What will happen after that remains to be seen."

She turns to address Saul.

"I'd recommend starting with the local fish merchant. If I remember this town correctly, he also deals in alchemical goods. It is at least the best place to start."

Deimosion

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghaleon281 Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:47 am

Cecilia Phron wrote:Chapter 2: Down the Future Path (To the Past) - Page 10 EUHLDb8

Cecilia smiles at Bjornulf. "I've already assembled quite the list of powerful enemies. What's one more? ... As I've already explained, however, it is a moot point: I lack the necessary components to earn her ire."

The witch turns to Liana, her brow wrinkled in somewhat confused thought. "...I was about to commend you for actually exercising some rational thinking, but... A fish merchant? You're either still playing with me, or delusional. ... And the two are not mutually exclusive."

Cecilia rubs her forehead for a moment, then adjusts her goggles slightly. "... Of course, it wouldn't be the strangest place to find someone helpful. It could be a muffin vendor, for example..."  She sighs, but otherwise drops the point.
Changed the picture... Just a bit of color touch-ups. I like this one... gonna keep it unless it horrifies someone. She's supposed to have red hair, anyway... I was just an idiot.

Ghaleon281

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Stickybeard Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:53 pm

Saul wrote:
Chapter 2: Down the Future Path (To the Past) - Page 10 Rszberserkguts2
Saul makes a puzzled face at Liana.

"A fish merchant...that also messes with alchemy? Well...I guess it's healthy to have broad interests."

Saul glances around to see the fish market.

[Perception 2+14=16]
Also, it looks fine to me Andre.
Spoiler:

Captain Stickybeard

Back to top Go down

Post  Slob Blobknob Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:46 am

Storyteller wrote:
Saul is able to find a merchant's stall displaying some very large and rather pungent fish. A cheery man sits behind the counter of the stall, conversing with a local mother, out on the town with her children.

"Haha! If there's been a clearer day, I haven't seen it! Ah, but you didn't come here for fish or small talk, eh Bruna? Yes, you must be here for little Beorn's medicine. Well, the next bottle's ready, though perhaps he's going through this too fast? Please tell me you haven't forgotten that he gets only one teaspoon a day, in the evenings before bed?"

The woman clears her throat. "Oh...once per day? I...of course. Yes, I've only been giving him a teaspoon a day."

Little Beorn tugs at her sleeve. "No you didn't, mommy! You said that if I took three teaspoons a day, I'd get better thrice as fast!"

Bruna turns beat red. "Right...I...I suppose everyone makes mistakes..."

The merchant shakes his head and sighs. "Bruna, it doesn't do anyone any good to have me brew up a good potion to help your son, only to have you purposely misuse it. For one, it hasn't been tested in amounts that great before. Who knows what could happen to him? And besides, it's highly addictive. Do you really want him to have to take this for the rest of his life?"

Bruna shuffles uncomfortably. "Well, no, I..."

The merchant punctuates her unfinished sentence by clapping his hands together. "Good, then we have an understanding! One teaspoon, once per day, and not a drop more!"

"I...thank you." Bruna turns to leave and grabs her children's hands. "Come, Beorn. Come, Bera. Thank the nice man and we'll be on our way home."

The children respond with their rehearsed gratitude. "Thank you, Mister Bardsson!"

The man smiles. "Well, you're welcome there, children. Now, you be good and watch your mother."
Bjornulf Freyson wrote:
Bjornulf sighs.

"I think perhaps you do not give Trenton as much credit as he deserves. True, he is quick to anger and threats, but under his rule, we have not only survived, but thrived. Then again, there is something bubbling under the surface of that man. I can feel it. There is a storm coming from him, one to rival any roil the sea could throw at us."
Alistair Bedlow wrote:
Chapter 2: Down the Future Path (To the Past) - Page 10 Alistair
Alistair chuckles at Skivven.

"I'm sure that the buckshot would just make them stare more."

Alistair watches the scene unfold at the merchant's stall.

"It would appear that is our alchemist. Not many fish merchants would be distributing medicine to townsfolk."

Slob Blobknob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghaleon281 Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:52 pm

Cecilia Phron wrote:Chapter 2: Down the Future Path (To the Past) - Page 10 EUHLDb8

Cecilia eyes their captain for a moment, carefully considering his remarks. "The reputation of his people precedes him: I'd be more surprised to discover he was truly genuine with me. That said... I am curious, and at present we are allies. Other points are currently moot." She looks up for a moment, as if considering her own point. "...Yes. We need only focus at the task at hand."

With that, she looks over to the fish merchant's stall, catching the scene as it unfolds. On hearing the conversation, she shakes her head and mutters under her breath. "Idiot. Magic is not for the foolish: not even potions."

She sighs, takes a breath, and then walks towards the fish merchant with a smile. Just as she starts to move, she speaks calmly to Saul without breaking her appearance. [Common] "Stay near, Saul, and keep an eye out."

When she's within earshot of the fish merchant, she addresses in the natives' tongue. [Dwarvenorse] "Good day to you, sir! I see you're the apothecary here. Would like to steal some of your time, if that's alright."
Diplomacy: 15 + 5 = 20 for positive reaction/getting him to be helpful. Kindness is hard.

Ghaleon281

Back to top Go down

Post  Deimosion Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:22 am

Sorry I haven't been posting recently, finals + moving + everything else + me completely forgetting is not a great combo. Anyway...

Liana is silent for a moment as she contemplates something. She mutters:

"He hasn't figured out how to do it properly...? It's...not that complicated."

She follows behind Cecilia, approaching the apothecary.

[Dwavenorse] "You know, if you take the potion off the heat sooner, it'll be a far more effective remedy. Should only take one dosage to cure the disease, then. If it turns violet, you've left it on for too long."

Rolled [17+15 = 32] Craft: Alchemy check a while back to identify it, but never did get around to posting, whoops. I'm just making up details about potion making...IT IS NOW CANON I mean whatever the GM says.

Deimosion

Back to top Go down

Post  Slob Blobknob Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:49 pm

Storyteller wrote:
The apothecary/fish merchant greets Cecilia and Liana warmly.

"Ah, good day, ladies!" He takes a second look at Liana. "Hm...You must be a fairly astute alchemist. Perhaps you have some components you would be willing to trade for some of my wares? In order to make another go at that potion, I would need some more materials, and I can't really get them except from Bjornulf and those who travel with them. The plants used to make it aren't exactly native to these lands."

He then turns to Cecilia. "Oh, well, now, I don't know that I could let you just STEAL my time, miss!" He chuckles. "We'll call it 'borrowing' and perhaps you'll pay me back by purchasing some of these lovely fish of mine?"

Slob Blobknob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghaleon281 Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:31 am

Cecilia smiles warmly, making it a point to keep up her kind front.

"Of course, of course. How rude of me to suggest such villainy." She winks with the last remark, then moves in to browse the merchant's wares while speaking.

"I was hoping you might help us find a friend of ours, actually. He's an alchemist, himself, so I thought perhaps you may have heard of something... A man named 'Flamel.' I'm terribly worried about him, what with his habit of vanishing... Have you perhaps heard anything at all?"

The witch looks up slightly from the stall. She stares the merchant in the eyes and doing her best to appear concerned about Flamel, hoping her display moves the merchant's heart.

Diplomacy with the wink for the hell of it: 11 + 5 = 16
Appraise while browsing wares: 9 + 7 = 16
Bluff while trying to draw information: 17 + 15 = 32

Ghaleon281

Back to top Go down

Post  Akeri Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:48 pm

Skivven wrote: Skivven spends his time poking around the merchants stall and mumbling to himself, one paw resting on the stock of his shotgun. "Skivven not see this fish before." he mutters before moving on, his free paw pulling a small cake like object out of his pack to eat.

"This fish good to eat?" he asks no one particular.

Akeri

Back to top Go down

Post  Slob Blobknob Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:27 am

Storyteller wrote:
The merchant's eyes shine with recognition.

"Old Nicolas? The fella taught me everything I know! Haven't seen him in years, though. Out of the blue, he left one day, said he was going to some faraway land, not sure if he'd be back. I asked him where, but he just told me he had to get away. I wish he'd at least have told me why. So no, I'm sorry to say I don't know where he is. But I do know him! He's a friend of yours? Well, any friend of Nicolas' is a friend of mine!"

The merchant turns to Skivven and gives him an appraising look.

"Sir, are you aware that you appear to be a large rat? Did you perhaps run afoul of Loki or Odin?" He shrugs. "No matter, I suppose you're getting enough stares from the other townsfolk. And if your money's good, who cares about the looks, right?" He laughs.

"I pride myself in my fish, so I have to tell you that they are the finest on the market. Perhaps you're interested in a trade?"

Slob Blobknob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Akeri Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:46 am

Skivven wrote: Skivven sighs, one ear flicking in irritation as he replies. "Yes Skivven is a rare species, this Skivven knows. Skivven happy to see merchant more tolerant than others here." Skivven smiles at the taller human, walking over to stare up at him.

"As for staring, Skivven fine with that, it's when stare becomes other things Skivven has to start using his friend here" He says, patting the butt of the his shotgun.

"Never heard of these people you mention though but Skivven not get out much, sound like troublemakers, Skivven good at handling those as for fish, what you want trade? Skivven not have alchemy stuff, unless you want powder or shells?" He explains, rooting about his pack, one eye watching the merchant.

Akeri

Back to top Go down

Post  Deimosion Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:08 pm

Liana shakes her head.

"I'm afraid I didn't bring any alchemical components with me. Not much of a use for them on a boat."

She seems to contemplate something as she examines the various fish.

"If I'm not mistaken, there is an herbalist somewhere in this town? I would need a few things from there to be able to properly prepare this."

Liana moves deftly around the shop, examining the various fish for sale.

"As for payment, hmm...well I suppose I have the time today, I could potentially show you how to make a decent substitute for that potion? It entirely depends on what you have readily available, of course. It would be good to get back into a lab or a kitchen...er, ah, speaking of which..."

Liana seems to finally realize something obvious. She says, more to herself than anyone else:

"I guess I would need to actually be able to cook these somewhere...ah, maybe Bjornulf will let me use the ship's galley..."

Liana continues her uncharacteristic frenzy about the shop, muttering to herself about herbs and ingredients.

7+15=22 for Craft: Alchemy on the food stuff and 6+10=16 Knowledge: Local for the bit about the herbalist.

Deimosion

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghaleon281 Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:55 am

Cecilia watches Liana traipse about for a moment, betraying some amusement at the knife-wielder's actions. Shaking her head, she turns to Skivven, still keeping a pleasant tone of voice.

"They're gods, Skivven. They were the subjects of some of the stories with which the good captain regaled us."

She looks back to the shopkeeper, worry painted across her face.

"And... oh, dear. You've heard nothing from him at all? The thing is... we've run into a spot of trouble, and Flamel's the only one with the skills to help us... Did he perhaps tell someone else where he was headed, or... maybe he left some sort of clue to his destination? It'd help immensely if you could recall anything..."

The witch smiles hopefully, still displaying a softness her companions never would have expected she could possess.

Bluff to keep this act going: 16 + 15 = 31.

Ghaleon281

Back to top Go down

Post  Akeri Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:16 pm

Skivven wrote: Skivven looks up at Cecilia, a wide grin on his face.

"Skivven not know about that, gods not Skivven's forte but he thinks they cheat like boats."

The small demihuman states, closing his pack and following Liana around, piping in suggestions from time to time and pointing at fish.

Akeri

Back to top Go down

Post  Slob Blobknob Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:39 pm

Storyteller wrote:
The merchant frowns.

"I'm...I'm sorry, miss, I have no idea where he has gone. You can ask around, but he wasn't very well-known around town, so I'm not sure anyone here could help you find him."

He looks contemplative for a moment.

"Well, I guess that's not entirely true. I could help you, after a fashion."

He pulls out a vial full of a thick pink liquid.

"Some of the people around here think I'm a crackpot. One that just happens to be able to make some helpful medicines out of twigs and dirt. But, when I put my mind to it I can make some very interesting concoctions. This potion should allow you to ask your question of the gods. Now, I can't tell you which god the potion will let you speak with, and I can't tell you whether or not the god will feel like answering, but I could certainly be persuaded to part with the potion, if your need is great enough, and your purse is full enough."

Slob Blobknob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghaleon281 Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:06 pm

Despite her relative impatience, the witch manages to keep her cool for the sake of success.

"I suppose that depends on what you ask for, but... A potion that allows me to talk to a god? Is that even possible?" She bluffs, knowing full well the limits (or lack thereof) of magic. "Can a potion really-"

She turns quickly to Liana, playing a curious customer asking her friend for advice. "Can this potion really do that, Liana?"

Bluff check to pretend she doesn't know what magic can do: 7 + 15 = 22... not so great that time, but still pretty damn high for most people.
Spellcraft check to actually know what magic can do: 17 + 20 = 37. Naturally. I only needed to roll a 1, so of course I roll a 17.

Ghaleon281

Back to top Go down

Post  Slob Blobknob Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:40 pm

Storyteller wrote:
So far as Cecilia is aware, there are spells that allow someone to speak with a god, but the questions one can ask are typically very limited. It is possible that someone was able to brew a potion to speak with a god, but it seems unlikely that someone living in this backward area could produce such a potion.

Slob Blobknob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Akeri Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:36 am

Skivven wrote: Skivven looks up from the fish he was examining.

"Skivven has things at home that make you think you talk to gods, and a few that make you think you are gods if you drink them, Skivven always surprised what he gets as gifts or finds after a job."

Skivven pauses to scratch behind one ear and grin.

"Skivven has to keep those drinks locked up because some people might be dangerous if they think they a god Skivven thinks, but that makes Skivven wonder how this drink tastes."  

Akeri

Back to top Go down

Post  Deimosion Fri May 09, 2014 2:35 am

Liana selects a few herbs before rejoining the group's conversation.

"Oh pumpkin, don't you worry your pretty little head about something like that."

She smirks at her own joke.

"But...yes, such a potion certainly COULD exist. I'd...be rather surprised to find one here, to be honest. It's...actually a rather impressive find."

She turns to address the shopkeeper.

"Did you make this potion yourself?"

[15 + 8 = 23 Sense Motive to call Cecilia's bluff. Not rolling one of my own because I am assuming that Liana's tone makes it apparent that she isn't trying to hide that she knows.]

[19 + 15 = 34 Craft: Alchemy to identify information about the potion]

Deimosion

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next